COVID-19: Confirmed cases in Ghana hit six

Confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Ghana has risen to six (6) from an initial two recorded last Thursday, March 12, 2020, the Ministry of Information has announced.

The announcement was made a press conference, Sunday, in Accra.

Health officials from the Ministry of Health led the briefing exercise, noting that “all the confirmed cases were imported into the country”.

The Director of Public Health, Dr Badu-Sarkodie, who led the team of health officials from the Ministry of Health said of the additional four confirmed cases, the first had to do with a 56-year-old Ghanaian who returned from a trip in the United Kingdom on the March 4, 2020.

“He stayed in the UK for 10 days. He developed symptoms on the 12th of March and reported to a health facility in Obuasi. Samples were taken from him and taken to the Kumasi Center for collaborative Research and the results returned positive”, said Dr. Sarkodie.

The second, he noted, is a woman, and a student.

According to him, the said woman travelled to the United States of America, stayed there for about 10 days and returned to Ghana on the 10th of March.

The symptoms, he added, the began showing on March 13, 2020 which was later confirmed to be suspected COVID-19.

“Samples were taken to Noguchi Memorial Medical Research Institute and emerged positive”, he narrated.

The fifth and sixth cases, he added, were recorded on Saturday, late in the afternoon, from the Noguchi Memorial Medical Research.

According to Dr. Sarkodie, the first is a 42-year-old Ghanaian male who returned to Ghana on the March 8, 2020.

He had travelled to Switzerland and UK in the past 14 days.

“Symptoms started on the March 13, 2020 and he reported to the health facility on March 14. After samples were tested, it was confirmed positive. The second case in this batch was a 41-year-old Ghanaian male. He reported to the Tema General Hospital on the 14th of March with fever and acute respiratory illness. He had travelled to Turkey and Germany within the past 14 days. Results from Noguchi came back positive. Both cases had no symptoms on arrival”, Dr. Sarkodie explained.

The medical health expert, however, assured that all four cases are stable and under observation.

“They are receiving treatment under isolation conditions”, he noted.

Related posts

Leave a Reply